Thursday, August 13, 2009

All's Quiet

Well, we did it.
We put the boys in the same room.
I was a little nervous. Okay, a LOT nervous. They have been sleeping so well and we have this great routine going. But it was time...

Weston was SO excited. Thrilled.
Tave, well, he was a little confused.

Night 1 Scenario (last night):

They both were up waaay too late due to the furniture switching and all.
We put them both to bed at the same time and closed the door.
It was quiet. For about 2 minutes.
Then we hear talking. And laughing. And more talking. And lots more laughing.
It was The. Cutest. Thing. Ever.
Really.
For about 15 minutes.
Then Tave started getting grouchy because he really was exhausted. So we ended up letting West stay up even later while Tave fell asleep and then we put Weston to bed.
It worked.
They were up a little bit earlier than normal, but no biggy.

Or so I thought.

They were both super grumpy today due to their schedules being thrown off.
Unhappy kiddos = unhappy mom.
Not the best day, I'll be honest.

So tonight I was a LOT nervous to do it again. I wanted to cave and move them back into their own rooms. Except Jeff was at school and there was no way I was trying that on my own.
Sigh. Here we go.

Night 2 Scenario:

Put Tave to bed at 7 pm. Did great.
West gets to stay up until his 7:30 bedtime, which I pushed a little because it's so fun to have them 1-on-1. I love that time.
Around 7:45 I get him ready for bed and we head to the room.
But wait, Tave is talking. NO! He's awake. This is not good.
I tell West he'll have to sleep in the office.
He's upset. He wants to sleep in the room with Tave.
I sigh again. (nasty habit...working on it)
So I decide to just bite the bullet. They have to get used to this, afterall - right?! Right.
We go in, Tave's upset when he sees us.
Weston climbs in bed. I rock Tave in the rocker while singing them a few good night songs.
Then I tuck in both of my boys and close the door.

Meanwhile I am praying praying praying this will go well.

And guess what ~ it does.

They talk and laugh for a few minutes. Tave makes quite a lot of noise being silly.
Then they drift off to sleep.
Brothers, friends.

Sleep tight my sweet boys.

10 comments:

The1stdaughter said...

Man, I completely understand and I am so glad to hear it's going better tonight (*fingers crossed*). This is the reason why our two little ones got the only extra bedrooms this summer at grandma and grandpa's and mom & dad slept on the couch. No fun, but more sleep all the way around.

I hope it keeps up, and it sounds like it will! Good luck, now go get some rest! :)

Cameron/Melissa said...

We still have problems some nights... but I think sharing a room is good for them and we don't have four bedrooms anyways. They do laugh and talk and laugh and talk and then eventually they do sleep. But I love the nights when I only have to put one of the girls to bed and they sleep so easily.

Ms. said...

ahhh-I want my kids to share a room, but I am going to wait until Sam can hold her own

Amy said...

that really is so sweet--I love that they talked before falling asleep. It will get better and better each night. i loved sharing a room with my older sister and I definitely remember staying up way too late talking and laughing. :) Some things are just worth getting off schedule for.

lnkmom said...

I'm glad it worked out! One of my favorite things to do is stand in the bathroom (closest room to the kids) and listen to them talk and laugh at bed time. It totally makes up for the "mean" things they do to each other during the day!

Sharla said...

Yea for you! I think you're smart to do it at this age. I think we waited too long. It totally did not work. But, we're going to try again. Here's hoping that the sleepy vibes will make it from your house to mine!

Phillips Family said...

My wife has the same problems with me. I talk and laugh all night. She really should look into sleeping in the office as well.

Shar said...

WOW! Your kids really do transition well. How have they been doing the last few nights? I am nervous about Kapria and Mila sharing a room. Hopefully it goes as well as this. love you!

Stefanie Bell said...

This was so cute to read!! I am glad they went to sleep.. I hope they continue to do so good!!

Des said...

ooooo. so thinking about doing this in our new place we are moving into. Question- how did Weston go to be before the switch? did you put him in his room and let him go to sleep by him self? i'm really nervous about this too. Maybe you just gave me the push to do it?