#1. Have Dad help them get out as much energy as possible.

#2. Put on Music and the Spoken Word. (If it's the Sunday morning session...on Sat. put on some soothing, inspiring music)
Tave & Weston BOTH loved watching this while we did some last minute stuff getting ready. I was pleasantly surprised.

#3. Build a fort. We started this tradition last conference and it is quickly becoming a favorite. Jeff builds a fort with the kiddos while I make breakfast. We set it up in front of the t.v. so that, once the session starts, they can see the speakers while they are playing. This way they are still hearing the speakers and seeing our beloved leaders and prophets.

#4. Monkey bread. I don 't have a picture, but this is another Conference tradition (thanks to James & Amy). We LOVE making it and eating so much yumminess throughout the session. Weston even requested it this year...which was fun. I'll post the recipe soon!
#5. Have fun games for the kiddos to play with. Weston really liked doing puzzles with mommy. Which brings me to:
#6. While kiddos are young, they probably aren't going to be okay with mom & dad ignoring them for two hours, oh I mean, letting them play on their own for two hours... so we took turns. We were all in the living room together but one of us was on kid duty while the other one took notes.

This picture goes with #6: Weston liked doing what I was doing. Here he is crocheting.

#7. Have a picnic or playtime outside in between sessions. This goes along with #1.
#8. Time your kids naps during conference. Weston always takes an afternoon nap (usually around 1230 or 1) but we just kept him up a little bit extra so that he would go down right before the session started. This made it easier on ALL of us: he didn't have to sit through another two hours and we were able to listen and have a very good afternoon session.
#9. If all else fails: just stick them in a box. ;)

Well. This General Conference was fantastic for us. We really loved having some quality time together as a family. It was so wonderful to have such a successful few days. The kids did great and we were definitely uplifted and inspired by the wonderful leaders who taught us. This conference truly was an answer to prayer!
14 comments:
Camille says that games also help Adam to get through General Conference. He was tempted to make a fort, but Camille said he would not get any lunch if he did.
Yes. I'll be needing that recipe, please. =)
What cute conference traditions! You guys are awesome!
You cracked me up with the box. At least he looks happy!
Weston is too funny!!!
Love you guys..:)
Such great ideas and traditions. I especially love the forts and monkey bread ideas. :) We'll have to keep that in mind for a few years down the road.
That's awesome! Thanks for the tips, Nicole! I'll definitely keep them in mind for future reference!
You guys are too cute :). What great ideas! I still prefer to ignore my kids...but we'll see how long that lasts :D. It really was a great conference. I can't wait to get the conference ensign!
Love all your pointers. We will have to try them out next year- I LOVE the fort idea. And we do the nap thing too, so the 2nd session was much more peaceful!
haha your post made me laugh. I was totally expecting it to be a crazy time, but amazingly it wasn't. It was easier than church. Magically Jack would sleep during conference and like you- we just kept Syd entertained. I love conference.
so thanks for the handbag thing. I totally won't win- but why not try. hehe. So I think I chose the green one. I was debating between that one and the brown one like 2 before it. which one did you choose?
Who would have thought that the choir could calm the beast, I mean The Boy? He LOVED it too!! He also likes leading along with the director. That fort idea is sweet. Big mental note for next year.
I wonder how Jocelyn would have liked a box.. just kidding! What great ideas!
Nicole!!! Hi!!! Its Brittany Farrow :) Your little ones look SO fun and adorable!
Good suggestions... and fun
Those are some good ideas. I will have to try them out for the next session. I was wondering what parents did.
Post a Comment