Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Being two...

Tave isn't quite two, YET, but he's almost there. As evidenced by this:


Yes, that is a little leg, trying to kick me.

You can't quite tell, but he was screaming his head off. SO loud.
And it was pretty darn funny.

I have a long ways to go before I am the kind of mother I really want to be. I have lots and lots of things to work on. But I would like to think that I am improving in some areas.
Having a sense of humor is one of those areas.
Tave's tantrums crack me up. I wasn't so fond of Weston's but I'm learning it's just life. Sometimes you have to scream and yell and cry. When either boy does this, they get to go take a 'break' in their room. (Time out is not in their room). Your room is a safe haven, somewhere to play, dream, have fun, and relax.
And when you need to cry, you can do so without being yelled at for breaking down.
Weston is mostly over these huge fits but Tave is just coming into his own. He is realizing he has a mind that he wants to make up all by himself. When one of these (very hilarious) tantrums ensues we tell him he gets to take a break on the bed. We lay him there and he can get up as soon as he wants to talk nicely. (Lucky for us, our kids don't hurt themselves or other people, so this method works.)
He usually cries for another minute or two, then he just lays there and snuggles with his blankie. He comes out a few minutes later ready to play and have fun again.
He gives us a big hug and wants to hear us say "I love you." Then we get to hear "I love you too, Mommy/Daddy."

Our snuggly-sweet little guy can have all the tantrums he wants. ;)

3 comments:

Phillips Family said...

Nothing like pitching a monster fit. I guess that is part of being a kid.

lnkmom said...

Somehow it's always reassuring to see that other children melt down too!

Sounds like you have a good system to deal with such things!

Oh, and I love that Weston remembered St. Patty's day!

Stephanie said...

Haha. I've never seen this side of Tave before. :) I think sometimes all you can do is laugh. We've been sending our kids to their room, too, and now when they're really upset sometimes they'll just send themselves. Kind of funny but kind of sad too.