Hi friends!!
I need your help. We have been looking at purchasing a carrier/sling for B3. In addition to the benefits of baby wearing, I just know it will help to be able to have my hands free with two other guys to take care of and play with.
However, I can't decide between these two:
The Ergo Baby Carrier
The Moby sling
We have a baby bjorn that we have really liked but it really really hurts my back after awhile. (like 30 minutes tops). So we want something that will be great on our backs and comfy for baby.
Both of these can go from infant up to 30-40 lbs. (which technically means I could carry West around in either. haha. can you imagine?!)
They are both designed to fit a lot of sizes, so Jeff and I could both wear them.
They both have amazing reviews and people love them.
They are quite different in price. ($105 vs $40)
But I want something that will last and something I will really use.
SO...have any of you every used one of these? Or better yet, have any of you used both??? What do you think????
I would appreciate any and all thoughts. Like right now. Go leave me a comment. I have to make this purchase tonight before our 30 day free Amazon prime trial runs out. (I hate paying shipping)
Thanks in advance.
12 comments:
I haven't tried either one, but I do know people who have tried the Moby and loooved it. Several people, actually. I heard that once you figure out how to wrap it, it's very simple and very comfortable. How exciting! You'll have to tell me about this amazon prime thing. I use amazon all the time, but I always have to spend at least 25 to have free shipping.
Do both.
I've never heard anything but raves about the ergo, though I've never used one myself.
BUT.
You can make your own moby. I did! You need 5-6 yards of material, and if you take your nifty 50% off coupon to JoAnn's, you can scoop up that thing for <$20. And the BONUS is that a 60" wide bolt of fabric that you'd buy to MAKE your moby makes TWO slings. So make 2, keep 1, sell the other for the cost of the fabric, buy the ergo, and you don't have to DECIDE!
=)
Jen,
could you email me directions on how to make it. what kind of fabric do I buy? And do I hem the edges? And how wide does it need to be cut??
Then how do I wrap it??!!
THanks!
We got a used Ergo for Camilla, and it works alright. The problem is you have to use a special insert for newborns until they can hold their head up themselves and their hips are stronger. Ours is the old version where they have to sit in the carrier sideways, and I don't really like to use it with a newborn (partly because she's a big kid). I think I'll like the carrier much better when she can sit in it normally. I think there is a new version of the infant insert (called the Heart to Heart or something) where they can sit in it facing you, but it costs like $30-40. If you want to use it with your newborn, I think I'd recommend using that insert. For now, I think I'm going to try the homemade Moby wrap myself!
ummm if you get directions would you mind sharing them? OR if you make it up yourself maybe a tutorial?? I'd love one for me and friends too :)
I've tried both, decided neither was for me, and wound up buying a bjorn with the extra lumbar support and that totally won out. We have both loved the bjorn+lumbar and i have a REALLY bad back.
The ergo is probably best for babies 9 months-18 months. I don't know too many people who liked it for newborns or younger babies. I used a friend's for periods of time and Addie (at 3 and at 6 months) hated it because it can only be backward facing and she really hated not being able to look around and see everything. Though it is extremely supportive for the parent and it distributes weight well, it just has very few options for the baby to be very comfy or enjoy the ride.
We own a moby and it is a great product, especially for newborns. From most of my friends who have made their own, they wish they would have just bought one. It is SO much fabric, and you have to get just the right type or it won't breath or it will sag and make for baby-staying-put-problems and it's just not worth the hassle. Once you pay the money to get the good fabric, you may as well have just bought an actual moby for yourself.
My big con with the moby is that it is a commitment to wear. You essentially wrap yourself up like a mummy and it's hardly a discrete thing to do in public and it's rather hot in the summer. Also, it's a big ol' roll of fabric to carry around with you when you're not wearing it. There are tons of options for both baby and wearer to find what works for you best though, and that's the best part about it. I've found that the standard wrap technique distributes weight really well. Aside from the instructions that come with one, there are lots of videos on youtube that will show you how to wrap a moby.
I have a moby and don't like it at all. It is a ton of fabric to carry around and in the summer it was a sweat chamber for both me and the baby. PLUS joe absolutely refused to wear it. he said that it looked like someone had ripped down their curtain and wrapped it around their body and then tucked a baby in. even though mine is black, it wasn't 'guy' enough. finally, I don't know what the deal is, but after a while I always needed to take the baby out and rewrap it because the weight of the kid would eventually make the baby sag a little bit. I wanted them like on my chest but after walking around a store for 20 minutes they were getting further from my chest and closer to my stomach. whether you buy or make your own moby, the fabric is so stretchy that you have to pull it so tight around your body to prevent the 'child sag' and I SWEAR that accentuated my fat rolls. I think that bjorn back thing sounds like a good idea to try.
Everyone I know that has the Moby, loves it. But, like everyone else, I've heard they are SUPER easy to make yourself.
I might already be too late, but I also vote you make one. My mom made me one and it's super cute. I LOVE it. Love it.
I know nothing about baby wearing but here is an awesome blog describing with pictures different carries!!! It's a lot to read but great info!!
http://betterbabywearing.blogspot.com/2010/03/babyweaing-overload.html
Hope this helps!
Love you!
Hey, Nicole. I just saw this and I don't know which you decided to buy but I saved this a while ago and thought you'd be interested. I don't know how to make one but this is a link to the Moby wearing instructions. Let me know what you decided to get... or make. If you make one, I want to know how you did it! :)
Oops, forgot the link: http://www.mobywrap.com/t-instructions.aspx
Post a Comment