Friday, March 25, 2011

Three things that changed our day

We always ask the boys what their favorite part of the day was. It's a little bedtime ritual that we all love. (Thanks, Jen for the idea!)
Usually the boys say things like:  When we wrestled with daddy, when daddy came home, when I went to preschool, when I played with so and so....etc, etc.
Notice anything missing???? Yeah...that would be the mommy.
I get it, I really do- the day to day things are normal and not 'exciting'.
Except I want to be that and do that for them, at least sometimes.
And today I did.

They really really wanted to play in the snow.  Weston even said he would go out by himself just in the backyard.  I almost said no. I just don't like being cold, wet, in the snow, and the hassle of getting geared up and then cleaned up when you're done.
But instead I said: "Grab your boots!"
The boys began playing and they were having so much fun.  They loved it.  I could hear their shouts and had to grab a picture really quickly.
Then they asked if they could go out the gate into the big field.
I almost said no (opening the gate meant I would for sure have to go out).
But instead I said: "Sure, but stay close."
A white field ready to be spoiled = a little boys dream!
Again I heard their shouts  and this time I had to join them.  I bundled up the babe, grabbed the camera and ran out for some fun.
We did it ALL:  Snowballs, snow angels, eating the snow, running, rolling, and even swimming in the snow. Then they grabbed the sled and started pulling it around.
Tave asked if I would pull them for a sled ride.
I almost said no.  (I was holding Ryder, afterall)
But instead I said:  "Yes! Will you hold Ryder, too?"
I pulled them around for a looooong time. They laughed and screamed and had the time of their lives.  They asked for more and I kept going.
About 10 minutes after we headed inside to take off our soaking clothes & eat dinner, the sun really came out. It started melting the snow and turning it even slushier.  The thought crossed my mind that the snow would probably be gone tomorrow and we just made it before it was too wet and too gone.
And I realized that Heavenly Father had been with me today, reminding me of what was most important and showing me that those three little decisions to say 'yes' when I wanted to say 'no' changed our day from something that was honestly nothing great, to something magical and memorable.
As we were eating dinner the boys kept saying how this was the best day ever because they played in the snow and mommy pulled them on the sled.
I finally made the favorites.


And I plan on being there more often.

5 comments:

Danielle said...

L.O.V.E this post. I am so happy to have you join us for the 30 Day Play Outside with me Challenge. I hope you will consider sharing this when we have the link up on playing outside, no matter the weather. I look forward to getting to know you!

http://canyoucomeoutsidetoplay@blogspot.com

Amanda said...

First of all... can not believe you guys have snow!!! And way to go super mom! You know the boys probably had the best day with you.

Shar said...

this is awesome! and such a great reminder of what's important about our days. i love you! you are a GREAT mom.

Darwin + Kiara said...

What an awesome day & an awesome mommy! I can't believe how grown up Weston is looking! You have such handsome boys!

Kellie said...

Soooo cute Nicole! I can't believe how grown up your little men are! I remember when there were still only two little ones and Tave wasn't even sitting or crawling, or probably any of the things he does now! What a beautiful family you have! (and what a beautiful post! I loved it! You should submit it to the Ensign! I think it is just the perfect little story!)