Saturday, November 08, 2008

In loving memory...

Dear Grandma Bea,
You wrote me an email a couple of weeks ago. This is my letter to you that I kept meaning to send and kept thinking about. But I didn't. My days got busy and filled with little boys and errands, and all of those things that don't seem as important right now. (well, except for those little boys!) I'm sorry. It's a little late, but I'd like to think that you will read these words. Or at least feel them and know that I love you.

I love your smile. Your happiness that was infectious and your laugh that always brightened my day. Thank you for always sharing it.
I love the notes you would send in the mail- telling me how much you love me, my boys, and that if you were young again, you just might marry Jeff yourself. That one made me laugh. And made me grateful that you love my husband too.
I love how patriotic you are. Just walking into your home made me want to sing our National Anthem. I should have for you.
I love that your walls are filled with pictures that tell the story of your life: you, grandpa, your children, grandchildren, and great- grandchildren. We all know how much you loved us.
I love the little jig you would do when you were excited about something.
I love that I could always count on doing a fun crossword puzzle with you during our visits.
I love that you always played games with us.
I love that your favorite color is yellow. For a long time that was my favorite color-- just because it was yours. I should have told you that.
I love our phone conversations- how thrilled you were to be hearing from us, how you filled my ears and heart with sweet compliments, were excited over my boys new developments, and the way you would always say, "I love you" and "God bless you" before saying good bye.
I love that you are great at the paddle-ball-toy-thingy. Weston loved watching you and having you teach him. What a cool thing for a great-grandma to do.
I especially love your hugs - how you would squeeze me and then pat me on the shoulder or back, as if to say "I love you this much more". I wish I could hug you right now, and have you hug me back.

Thank you for everything. I don't know how else to say how much you mean to me. You are forever a part of who I am.

I love you Grandma. I am sorry I didn't send this letter before you left us. But I am so grateful that I know where you are and who you are with. I am sure Grandpa is so excited to have you right by his side again.
Tell him we say hello, okay.
I love you.

Love,
Nicole





This was our last visit. It will be so wonderful to see you at our next one.

5 comments:

Troy and Nancee Tegeder said...

Sorry about your grandma. that was a really nice post about her. I'm sure she already knows how you feel.

Stephanie said...

Nicole, I am so sorry to hear about your Grandma. I'm guessing that's why your day was so hard yesterday. Such a sweet letter to your Grandma. Made me cry. It is so wonderful to think of the reunion she and your Grandpa are having!

Kristen said...

I'm so sorry you lost your grandma. Thanks for the beautiful post. It makes me want to write my grandparents. You never know how much time we have on this earth.

Haylee said...

So sorry to here about your Grandma. Your post was so sweet, it had me in tears!

Anonymous said...

Nicole

Beautiful letter to Grandma, thank you for doing that. She was such a treasure to us all.